Thursday, June 5, 2008

Chinese Course - "Do you got it?" "Are you getting that?" in Chinese - From Beijing Chinese School.com > Learning Chinese > Chinese Tattoos, Chinese Names and Quick Translations

"Do you got it?" "Are you getting that?" in Chinese
Home New Posts

Login:    Pass:   Log in or register for standard view and full access.

Entropy_Rising -

There was someone at the gate of my little dorm complex just now, knocking. I went to get it, but
then another resident walked into the hallway. The English phrase I wanted to say was "Do you got
it?" As I write it I realize that this phrase is kind of weird and may be an American thing, but
the meaning is "Are you getting that" or "Are you going to take of that?"

Whenever I'm fumbling or something or trying to do something and I'm obviously having a hard time,
often times a Chinese friend will help and say "我来." This sounds to me like the statement
version of the question above, as in "I've got it," "I'll do it," or "I'll take care of it." So
would 你来吗? work in this situation?

Thanks.

Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!

About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here

anonymoose -

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but "Do you got it?" is not correct English. In the situation
you described, "Are you getting that?" would be OK.

Entropy_Rising -

I'm a native speaker of English, and I also already acknowledged that "Do you got it" has an
awkward syntax when written. However, at least in the United States, "Do you got it" or "Do you
got that" is perfectly acceptable, non-regional, non-dialect English when two or more people are
approaching an item or a situation that demands attention, such as someone knocking at the door, a
telephone ringing, a child throwing a fit, etc. Just like perhaps 95% of Americans when using the
phone will say "It's me., it may be wrong grammar per se but no one is going to start a crusade to
get people to say "It's I."

Besides, the point of the post was to discover the Chinese equivalent to such a phrase.

here2learn -

On this episode of Chinespod:
http://chinesepod.com/lessons/going-dutch
they mention a few uses of 我来。
It seems to me, only from that lesson, that it's a way of saying "I got it" or "let me do it" to
be polite... the examples included saying 我来 when the check comes in a restaurant, dropping
something on the floor and you're the one who will pick it up, and to mean you'll answer the
phone。

They say the response can be "我来吧“ meaning, "no, I'LL do it."

So if it's used as one of those face-arguments where you don't want the other person to do it, I
think 你来吗 might not be appropriate. It may end up sounding like you are telling them to do
something for you. (?) That's the impression I got....

SO....
CAN WE USE THIS in the OP's ways above, or only to "not let" the other person do something?

PS - I'm from north america, and "you got it?" or "I got it" is used nearly every day. Can't find
many more common phrases than that, grammatically correct or not. I'd never say DO at the
beginning though.

- answering the phone
- fixing something
- doing anything for someone else
- helping someone do sth small
- answering the door
- to say you'll do sth in the near future
- help sb carry sth
- refuse sb helping you "no, it's ok, I got it"
Means I'll handle it, I'll do it, let me help, don't bother yourself, please let me be the one to
do the difficult thing, or I don't need help, etc...

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:09 PM.

Learn Chinese, Chinese Course, Learn mandarin, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing

No comments: